Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Weigh-In Day (again)

 Hey guys!
     I know that it's been a week since my last post but things have been really busy here.  Like I said before school started back up for me and it's taking a lot more of my time than I thought it would. But here I am and I a happy to report that I worked out 5 out of 7 days last eek and stayed under my points as well.  So I was very proud of myself...that is until I stepped on the scale this morning. I came in at 231.7 lbs that's a 0.6 lbs gain.  Now I know what you are thinking...

"It's only number!"
"It's not even 1 lb!"
"That shouldn't matter!"

But it does matter to me at least. I work with numbers all day every day, so that slight minimal gain does hurt a little. Now I'm not going off the deep end here, throwing my hands in the air, and saying "F**K IT!" Then go scarf down the next half pound bacon cheeseburger I see...

Which for those who know me would've been my first step a couple of months ago. It would've been a shot over to Wendy's and an order of the baconator with cheese fries and an another of chicken nuggets with cheese sauce. Defeat would've been coursing through my veins and all the hard work that I've done would've  gone to hell.  But with the defeat I'm feeling, it is coupled with anger and determination. I am pissed about the gain, trust me I am, but I am also determined to get this done. 


I struggle with this concept and have for many years. So I am still working on this.  I'm working on realizing that I am worth all this struggle and pain.  That no matter what I deserve to be happy with myself.  I didn't have a terrible childhood or anything like that but my self esteem has been something that I have struggled  with as far back as I can remember.  Why? I have no idea. I don't remember anything to significant that may have caused the body issues that I am still dealing with today. I don't want to say that it is my parents fault or society because I chose to put the food in my mouth and the activities or lack there of.  I do remember that when I was younger, that I was stick thin until I hit puberty and after puberty I wasn't "fat".  But ever since my teenage years I was constantly put on a diet because my mother was on one. So I constantly heard about fat and calories.   Now I don't know if that led to present day or what but I know that I have struggled with this for so long.  Right now my main goal is the get out of my own way at this point and learn to love myself.  But I also plan on making sure not to pawn off my body issues off on my daughter. We are all beautiful and deserve to be the best we can be.  

I love to cook and my favorite channel is Food Network. Well on Saturday they have this new show called The Kitchen (http://www.foodnetwork.com/the-kitchen/index.html).  

The host of the show are Marcella Valladolid, Geoffrey Zakariah, Sunny Anderson, Jeff Mauro, and Katie Lee.  It comes on Saturdays at 11 am est but I catch the replay on Sundays at 12 because I work during the original run of the new episodes. They had this one recipe that I am dying to try. 



Chile-Rubbed Chicken Breast with Kale, Quinoa and Brussels Sprouts Salad
Recipe courtesy of Marcela Valladolid

Prep Time:40 minInactive Prep Time:5 minCook Time:25 min
Level:
Easy
Serves:
4 servings
Ingredients
1 cup dried quinoa
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon ground chipotle powder
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
2 small garlic cloves, grated on a rasp, separated
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon minced shallot (from about 1/2 small)
2 large bunches kale, center stems removed and leaves thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 1/2 pounds total)
12 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed and cored, finely grated or shredded with a knife
1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped (about 2 ounces)
1 cup crumbled Cotija cheese (about 4 ounces)

Directions
Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a small saucepan. Add the quinoa, season with salt and cover. Reduce the heat to a simmer over medium-low, and cook until the quinoa has absorbed the water, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, the chipotle powder, oregano and 1 grated garlic clove. Season the mixture with salt and pepper. Sprinkle the chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper and rub the chipotle mixture evenly over the meat.

Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook, turning once, until browned and cooked through, about 5 minutes per side. Remove from the heat, cover, and let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.

In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, Dijon, shallots and remaining grated garlic until combined. While whisking, slowly drizzle in the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil until thick and emulsified. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.

In a large mixing bowl, toss the cooked quinoa, kale, Brussels sprouts and almonds together until combined. Add the dressing and cheese and toss lightly until coated; season with salt and pepper.

Divide the mixture among 4 serving plates and top each with a sliced chicken breast. Serve immediately.

Copyright 2014 Television Food Network G.P.
All Rights Reserved

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/cda/recipe_print/0,1946,FOOD_9936_732166_RECIPE-PRINT-FULL-PAGE-FORMATTER,00.html?oc=linkback


I'm can't wait to try this tonight!!  Not sure how the kids will take to it but I know that I will love it because I love kale and I've always wanted to try quinoa.  Did you know that quinoa is actually a cereal?  That's something I didn't know!  

Is there's show that you have to watch no matter what?  

Well that's all I have for now.  So don't forget to let you inner fit girl shine!  Until next time! Love y'all.  

2 comments:

  1. okay, so here's what i'm going to tell you. i'm not going to say let it go, because it's only .6 lbs. what i AM going to say, is that i can weigh myself 10 times throughout the day, and at any point in the day, it will be 0-2lbs. off. depends on how long ago i ate, if i'm nekkid, if i've gone to the bathroom. there are so many factors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. I know it depends on a lot of different factors. I weigh in first thing in the morning after I use the bathroom and mostly nekkid. it just hit me the wrong way this morning. I am however very proud of my decision and how I reacted to it. WHY DOES THIS HAVE TO BE SO HARD? lol

    ReplyDelete